Monday, January 26, 2009

52 Down, 148 to Go!

Thus far, 2009 has rewarded me the privilege to see 52 species of birds!  These birds have ranged from the Carolina Chickadee and Blue Jay to rarities in Indiana such as the Spotted Towhee and Varied Thrush!  Most recently, I was blessed this past weekend to see a nice congregation of Greater White-fronted Geese, Common Mergansers, Common Goldeneye's, and Northern Pintails!  All of these wonderful birds have brought me a little closer to my goal of seeing 200 birds in Indiana this year - only 148 to go!


I must admit that I am having such a great time 
setting goals, chasing birds, and making a sport out of this hobby we call "birding".  However, no 
matter how many times I see a given species , I just can't seem to get tired of any one of them.

I mean, who could EVER get tired of  Northern Cardinal?  One of the brightest birds on earth!  Or, a lazy pair of Gulls that you would assume are the same species at a distance but when you get close enough you come to realize that you have two?  They are not just "Seagulls"!  P.S. this post was revised on 1/29/09 since for some reason could not count on the day it was posted orginally. Ha.

No comments:

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal