Friday, December 26, 2008

Just 2 More Birds!

The year 2008 is about to come to a close - it is hard to believe that a full year has passed.  It is also hard to believe that I have seen 248 species of birds this year, 164 of them in Indiana!  Now, to some birders this may not be many, but for me, a novice lister - gaining this many species has not been a easy task.  For one, it is highly likely that I have seen far more species than I have counted, however, in order for me to count a bird I have to feel EXTREMELY good about its identification.  If I don't feel good, I will solicit a  second or third opinion, if this is not possible or doesn't give me satisfaction, I simply refuse to count it.
  
As the years draws to a close, now with only 5 days left in 08' I need two more Indiana bird species to achieve my goal of being able to submit my name (among thousands of other birders) to be published in the American Birding Associations (ABA) Annual List Report.  There are multiple areas to list your achievements and it will take years for me to be eligible for most, however, 164 birds (minimum) seen in the state of Indiana in one year will allow me enough birds to be listed under Indiana's Annual List.  The ABA will accept no less than 164 birds for this category!  So, with 5 days to go, I am on a serious mission - 2 birds!  Some welcome candidates would be - Red-shouldered Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Merlin, Northern Shrike, Cackling Goose,  Screech Owl, White-winged Crossbill.... and several others.

No comments:

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal