Sunday, October 5, 2008

A perfect October 5th, 2008!

Finally, I was able to get out and look at some birds.  I was running a bit late this morning but spent some much needed alone time birding around the Marina @ Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis.  I was quickly rewarded with a large flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers which appeared mostly to be of the "Myrtle" variety.  Some other highlights were a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and an awesome Golden-crowned Kinglet giving plenty of good looks at his "crown".  I also followed a Black and White Warbler for several minutes and at times was almost close enough to jump up and touch it - such a striking Warbler!

At 12n, I was off to attend a luncheon to celebrate the Amos Butler Audubon Society's accomplishments for the 2008 Birdathon!  All teams were recognized for their outstanding birding and fundraising efforts!  In all, the Birdathon raised approx. $28,000 this year - WOW!  After lunch, there was a silent auction that offered an amazing assortment of products, giftcards, etc. from area businesses and other Birdathon supporters.  I, of course, bought several items at SUPER deals - however, I quickly learned once I brought my items home that there was no deal good enough to prevent my wife from lecturing me about my frivolous spending habits!

After the lunch, I headed back to Eagle Creek to check out the shorebirds.  Some other birders has mentioned earlier several birds that I had yet to gain as lifers so I was hoping that they would still be poking around in the mud for my birding enjoyment.  To my amazement, they were all present!  I quickly gained 4 new lifers - Pectoral Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Semi-palmated Plover,  and Solitary Sandpiper!  

The weather was crisp, clear, and warm!  Not a cloud in the sky!  Birding was good, complete with four new lifers AND after a terrible first 3 quarters, the Colts made an awesome comeback and beat Houston - could there be a better day!




No comments:

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal