Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spring Forward! I am at 57!

Like any other Sunday, this morning I woke up, went downstairs, started a small pot of coffee (shade grown, of course) and went to the window to see what birds have chosen to dine with me this morning. All of my devoted friends were outside – House Finches, American Goldfinches, Mourning Doves, Northern Cardinals, E. Starlings (not my friends), a Common Grackle, and the very rare House Sparrows. Then, as I was sitting down to watch my visitors I noticed that the time on the TV box was different then that on my phone – we SPRUNG forward! My morning suddenly went into complete chaos, now I was late for the bird hike! I scrambled around the house, grabbed my birding bag and took off. I got about a half a mile from the house and realized that I forgot my wallet so I had to turn around and go back. Finally, I was on the road to go birding. I arrived at the park with not a birder in site; I was running about 45 minutes late so this didn’t surprise me. Long story short, I went birding alone.

My day quickly made a turn for the better when I spotted a Gadwall and an American Wigeon! Both lifers for me! It continued to get better as I spotted two immature Bald Eagles fly very close overhead and a lone Snow Goose (blue form) – lifers for me as well. Finally, to top off what started out to be a very disastrous day I had a Killdeer fly in front of my car and a Northern Mockingbird show up at my feeders this evening. I can’t wait until next Sunday!

This brings my life list to 57!

2 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Glad to read that you're stacking up lifers! Wigeon are such pretty ducks - as are gadwall.

Can't wait to see what you spot next.

YvonneB said...

Good luck with your birding, have fun along the way and enjoy! You have some great birds over there in North America.

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal