Sunday, April 5, 2009

An ALMOST Fantastic Saturday at Eagle Creek!


Horned Grebe... Eagle Creek, Indianapolis, IN.

I spent about 3 hours at Eagle Creek yesterday, 4/4/09. It was clear, calm, and about 60 degrees! I got out my scope, put on my new birding vest (I love my new birding vest), strapped on my binoculars, put my Kaufman guide in one of my many pockets and headed out to walk the entire lakefront. Sounds big hugh? It is actually only about a mile, give or take. However, in birding miles... it takes a while. Stop go, stop go, and so on.

My highlights were Bonaparte's Gull, Red-breasted Merganser, Horned Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe, Eastern Towhee, Lesser Scaup, and Northern Shoveler.

It was an absolutely GREAT day until I got about 20 feet from my car and my scope slid off my tripod. I can't type the profanities I shouted at that moment but I am certain that I blacked out for a few moments! I believe it will be OK, but, the impact did slightly damage the eyepiece - I can't believe it. I told my good friend about it and he said, "is that the thing that you took to Florida and guarded with your life?" - Yeap!

Horned Grebe... Eagle Creek, Indianapolis, IN.

Northern Cardinal... Eagle Creek, Indianapolis, IN

Red-breasted Merganser... Eagle Creek, Indianapolis, IN.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Glad to see you are okay!! Can the eyepiece be repaired? I have never heard of a bird vest before but it sounds like the type of thing I desperately need. Birding is difficult with multiple things and anything to make it easier would be helpful.

Look on the bright side though. The weather sounds lovely and you got some really great birds!

Kelly said...

I like your Horned Grebe photo and the cardinal is beautiful! I've been eyeing a few bird vests too. Last Thursday I was birding with my keys in my left sock and my phone in my right sock...

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal