Sunday, September 21, 2008

Random Thoughts!


I changed my blogs up a little so that I could (at times) write about some of my other interests that I routinely obsess over!  I often wonder how healthy these obsessions are?  Not that it matters much either way!

Recently, I added two new birds to my life list - Chestnut-sided Warbler and Nashville Warbler.  I am always excited for the new additions but never content as I know there are so many left to see!

The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have been at the backyard feeders in record numbers for my place... migrants I suppose, taking daily breaks to get charged up for many remaining miles of travel.  The American Goldfinches are beginning to increase in numbers at the feeders as well... now that the young are on their own, days are shorter, nights are cooler, they are ready to eat thistle vs. the insects that they have been eating all summer.


Three Orchids blessed me with blooms this week... all Lady's Slippers (Paph's) - White, Green, and a Yellow.


I planted some Venus Fly Trap seeds a couple of weeks ago from my plants outside so I now have about 50 Flytrap orphans!  Most people prefer not to mess with Venus Fly Trap seeds since it takes the plant about 3-5 years to mature but I say "why not" I hope to be around it 3-5 years so I'll take another 50 Flytraps!  The first picture is the newest sprouts and the bottom pictures is seedlings that are about 10 months old.



Well, that's about it, I turned 33 today so I guess I will just take it easy, eat some Red Velvet cake that my family bought me and watch my feeders all day.  What a life!

1 comment:

Rob Ripma said...

Happy Birthday. Hope you had a great day of feeder watching!

Indiana State Bird

Indiana State Bird
Northern Cardinal